Sunday, August 30, 2009

Another good map website

Again, I'm probably the last person in the world to have cottoned on to this but, if not, can I recommend to you all the Where's the path? website.

It lets you compare Google Earth imagery side by side with the Ordnance Survey map as seen for example below at Arinagour on the island of Coll, a favourite place of mine:-


And while we're on the subject of good OS mapping online, could I also advise you not to waste your time with the OS's own "Get a Map" function on it's website or Multimap.com but to go straight to streetmap.co.uk where you can get fullscreen-fulls of high-resolution, uncut, north-up 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 as seen in the following screen-grab:-


Looking at that map of Arinagour, I've just noticed that the B8070 has been extended south from the village to the ferry pier. That's quite new because, until recently, the road from the village to the pier was a yellow unclassified road. Rather unsatisfactory and probably a hangover from before the pier was built as shown on the following scan from the OS One Inch map of 1963:-

An example of the wheels of bureaucracy grinding slowly but I'm glad that road re-classification has finally been made. I wonder who's job it is to do that - I wish it was mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment