Friday, August 28, 2009

Peter's Port

Long before I ever went to Benbecula, Peter's Port was a place that had piqued my imagination because my trusty Ordnance Survey One Inch map (Sheet 23 "South Uist") showed a brown B class road (the B891 indeed) running out through a tangle of islands to apparently nowhere but a pier and a bay with a suspiciously English sounding name for a milieu as quintessentially gaelic as the Outer Hebrides (albeit in the good company of Castlebay, Leverburgh and Newmarket - not to mention Five Penny Borve).


So Peter's Port was definitely on my "must go to" list for when I eventually got to Benbecula. Below is the B891 twisting its way between Grimsay and Eilean na Cille (I think the photo is looking back west)

And this is what is at the end of the road:-


Image Copyright Dave Fergusson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

That doesn't look all that interesting but it conceals a fascinating tale I'll return to in the next post.

1 comment:

  1. Got my interest now Neil. Never been to Peter's Port but your 2nd pic is beautiful.
    Looking forward to part 2

    ReplyDelete